Instructor, Nursing Assistant Training Program
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment, responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities, developing curriculum courses, modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under general supervision, this individual will develop, prepare, and teach Health Careers courses within the department (to include nursing assistant, medication aide, phlebotomy, and other health career programs as developed) as well as potentially being responsible for organization, administration, continuous review, planning development, and general effectiveness of clinical experiences for students enrolled in a health career training program. Instructional responsibilities require a broad-based knowledge of the role of the nursing assistant in the health industry. Faculty will also be responsible for advising and recruiting students and collaborating with business and industry partners to provide necessary training and education. The individual must meet certification and credentialing requirements specific for affiliated clinical practice agencies.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
• developing learner centered lesson plans
• employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
• incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
• creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
• preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate
• updating and revising curriculum to maintain currency
• developing new courses as needed to support the instructional mission
• participating in the development and review of course and program/general education outcomes as appropriate
• developing, conducting and documenting appropriate assessment of student learning in outcomes courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
• participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
• participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records to include:
• maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
• providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials and maintaining safe working conditions
• maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
• complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
• conducting recruiting activities
• providing academic advising
• promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
• assisting students with the registration and graduation process
• referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
Support college-wide endeavors to include:
• collaborating with faculty and staff from other divisions/departments to promote communication, coordinating schedules, and supporting student success
• serving on department, division, and college committees
• participating in GTCC institutional initiatives
• collaborating with educational partners, business/industry and/or external agencies as appropriate to promote the instructional mission of GTCC
• supporting collegiality and teaching excellence by actively participating in the professional development of new and veteran faculty (e.g., mentoring and peer observation)
• participating in extracurricular student activities/clubs
• attending college professional development sessions, college/division/department meetings, graduation and convocation, as required
• Demonstrating and modeling the College’s employability skills; communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintain student records
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor
• Associate degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution with the ability to obtain a bachelor’s degree within 2 years of hire.
• North Carolina Registered Nurse unencumbered license or the ability to attain one prior to hire.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
• Two years of relevant industry experience with administrative and clinical procedures routinely performed by nursing assistants
• Two years of work experience as a Registered Nurse, i.e., 4000 hours in the United States
• Post-secondary teaching and/or industry training experience in Nursing Assistant topics using any of the following formats: teaching courses, training sessions, conducting professional development workshops, and/or other continuing education seminars.
• Greater than two years of relevant industry experience with administrative and clinical procedures routinely performed by nursing assistants
• Greater than two years of work experience as a Registered Nurse, i.e., 4000 hours in the United States
• Experience teaching in a community college
• Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
• Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery systems
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Effectively implement and apply technology solutions
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. Linking Student Learning Outcomes (within 30 days of hire)
7. Moodle Certification (if teaching online or hybrid – within 30 days of hire)
1. Bloodborne pathogens/personal protective equipment training (yearly)
2. Automatic electronic defibrillator/CPR certification (renewal every 2 years)
3. Documented immunity to Hepatitis B with positive titer and other immunizations (if required by affiliated clinical agencies)
4. Documented flu vaccination. (yearly)
5. Documented negative/clear TB status (yearly except biannual is Gold blood test used)
1. Physical Requirements
a. Hear and see
b. Stand extended periods of time (up to 4 hours)
c. Stoop, bend, squat, lift, reach overhead
d. Lift, push, or pull 50 lbs.
2. Work hours may include day, afternoon, evening, and weekend responsibilities
3. Instruction may be on any campus where health career programs are taught.
4. Travel between campus/clinical locations is required.
1. Acceptable results on background screening consisting of Criminal Background Check (CBC), Office of Inspector General Review (OIG), and 12 panel drug screen (upon hire).